December 7th, 2013
I am not dead, and I’m playing games! November was really busy at my day job and of course with Sparkler too, but I’ve been playing a bunch of games and want to do some posts!
First up will be a review of Exorcism of Maria Complete Edition (Danzai no Maria), but I want to fully complete it before I do a review – it takes a long time! Other posts I want to do:
- General news update since I missed a couple months
- Mobile otome game intros/mini-reviews
- Ozmafia review (also have to comp that which will be a while!)
- Right now I’m trying to play a bunch of games, including Snow Bound Land, Arcana Famiglia 2, Norn 9, and then there’s Kamigami no Asobi and Hanasaku Manimani. Phew! Lots to do.
- Oh and Dot Kareshi, I’ve now played Volume 1 and 3 – I missed #2
I hope it will be a post-filled December!
September 27th, 2013
Man, I’ve been horrible at the news lately! I just read the August entry (really July news) and noticed it cuts off after three items >.>;; . My only excuse is work, that thing I do to be able to afford buying all those magazines and otome games. Keeping up with my day job and Chromatic has been so busy that I have no energy to blog even when I have time.
So, what did I miss between then and now? Well, sit down, because there is lots of news to tell!
- Otomate releasing a new game, Chronostasia, about a heroine who lives in a world with banked time, where a mysterious force announces that the world has only 99 days left;
- Koezaru wa Akai Hana is being adapted for the PSP! I really liked the PC game. Of course the R18 scenes are being edited out for this.
Minus 8 – I was surprised to see that this was from Otomate, becuase it seemed like a quirky indie game. But Otomate, for its faults, are always up for trying a new gameplay dynamic and artstyle. In this game, there are eight heroes, who all have some sort of complex.
And now the September news:
- Vitamin X and Z are being ported to the 3DS – nice, but that’s region-locked.
- There’s going to be a sequel to Uta no Prince Sama All Star! More details to come.
- Iza, Shutsujin! Koi #2 is announced for the PSP from Asgard with 2 ‘sides’ – Echigo and Kai. Like the first, this was a mobile game first, but they’ll be ‘powered up’ for the PSP version.
- More games coming for the PS Vita! Otomate is releasing a combo of Amnesia and Hakuouki which has some new stuff (TBD) and includes a special DVD of the Amnesia characters’ two vocal units’ song videos (in anime version).
- Also, Diabolik Lovers is being released for the Vita with some new material as well.
- And finally some new games! A new Amnesia game, as yet unnamed, and
- Hakuouki Sweet School Life! Yup, if you’re a diehard Hakuoki fan you’ll have to get a Vita. I suppose it had to happen eventually.
- Minus 8 is being released December 12.
- A couple new CD+game series, Alice = Alice (an Alice in Wonderland story which includes another Alice who’s one of the heroes), and Bad Medicine, about teachers who are nice on the outside, but reveal their darker selves once the heroine breaks the rules at her new school.
- Houkago Colourful Step – Undoubu is being released December 19, and Bunkabu is March 27 next year.
- A new set of games for Corda d’Oro 3, Another Sky, which are like alternate stories where Kanade gets involved with the other schools. In the first she transfers to Chiaki’s school in Kobe. The heroes are Tougane Chiaki (CV: Taniyama Kishou), Toki Housei(CV: Ishikawa Hideo), Serizawa Mutsumi, as well as Kisaragi Ritsu (CV: Konishi Katsuyuki) and Sakaki Daichi (CV: Uchita Yuuya). The second focuses on Shiseikan (not sure of pronunciation there) with Yagisawa (CV: Itou Kentarou), Hozumi (CV: Morita Masakazu), Arata (CV: Kishio Daisuke), Haruto (CV: Mizuhashi Kaori), and a mystery person. And the last is about Amane Gakuen, with Reiji (CV: Hino Satoshi), Amamiya (CV: Miyano Mamoru), Nanami Sousuke (CV: Masuda Yuki), Hido Takafumi (CV: Hosoya Yoshimasa), and Kyouya (CV: Fukuyama Jun).
- Seiyuu announced for the new characters in the Geten no Hana fandisk! Kuroda will be voiced by Okitsu Kazuyuki, and Kakihara Tetsuya will play Takenaka. Both of them are lieutenants (or something, please don’t make me look up military ranks) who work for Hideyoshi.
- New game from Quinrose! Black Code is set in a small country, St. Alexia, split into two factions, the special security forces for the young king (SS) and the mafia. The heroine brings misfortune to everyone around her, including her parents who died years ago, and wants to join the SS to pay back her older sister, who’s raised her alone. She soon finds out that the two sides are hiding secrets – the mafia members are actually demons, and (presumably) the SS has some angels in it.
- The limited edition cover for Kamigami no Asobi is revealed and it’s gorgeous! I tried to take a pic but kept getting glare.
- The regular edition cover for Shinobi Koi Utsutsu is also revealed, and it’s totally adorable! I want this game so much, I want it NOW.
- Cast announced for Quinrose’s Hakkenden game! Suzumura Kenichi, Hoshi Souichirou, Kishio Daisuke, Namikawa Daisuke, Tachibana Shinnosuke, Ono Yuuki, and Kuroda Takaya
September 23rd, 2013
LAst post I did was a preview of fall games – and here are their ads and/or OPs in case you want to see what they’re like! Some didn’t have much choice – Hanasaku Manimani I couldn’t find a good video for at all unfortunately.
EDIT – Can’t believe I forgot Dot Kareshi II!
Meiji Tokyo Renka
Thu 9/26/2013 – Seishun Hajimemashita!
Fri 9/27/2013 – Exorcism of Maria Complete Edition
Dousei Kareshi Butterfly Lip
Kamigami no Asobi:
Diabolik Lovers Fandisk – More, Blood
New Edition Heart no Kuni no Alice
Glass Heart Princess: Platinum
Snow Bound Land
This might my favourite video of the bunch!
September 5th, 2013
Lots of games coming out this fall and leading up to New Year’s!
First, the BIG release of this summer for any otome game fan who can read this blog (i.e. English speakers!) – Aksys Games, who previously adapted Hakuoki for the PSP, are releasing an English adaptation of Bakudan Handan, calling it Sweet Fuse At Your Side. I really enjoyed this game - although the art style is really different from many otome games out there and not as ‘pretty’, all the characters were very distinctive (no worries about mistaking one for another if they change their hairstyle!), and I found the story to be engaging when I played it last year. Plus the gameplay is pretty fun – it’s not as difficult, but kind of in the same vein as the Ace Attorney series. It was released a couple weeks in the US, and (in my local store) just got to Canada last week, so go support English otoge adaptations! You can also buy it on the Playstation Network Store (I think).
September has several long-anticipated games, Seishun Hajimemashita! from honeybee [EDIT: This is now being released in October!] and using the same artist as Starry Sky, and Brothers Conflict Brilliant Blue, which I wouldn’t be surprised if it does a lot better than Passion Pink because of the anime (though it’s not on Crunchyroll, which I thought it was, huh). There’s also Meiji Tokyo Renka, which started from a drama CD series and is set in historical Edo. And I can’t leave out Uta no Prince Sama Music 2! It’s out tomorrow!
For October, Kamigami no Asobi is probably the biggest title this month. How long have we been waiting since that first video showed up? Two years? It’s the first game Hakuoki artist Kazuki Yone is illustrating since Hakuoki/Hakuouki, and her art is beautiful so everyone’s very excited. Most of the character designs aren’t my cup of tea (still beautiful though), but the seiyuu are really good (Hosoya Yoshimasa as Loki!) and I’m definitely going to pre-order this and play it as SOON as I get it.
Diabolik Lovers FD More, Blood – For the fandisk there’s a new group of vampires in town, the Mukami brothers – even hotter than the original guys!
Alice in the Country of Hearts – New Edition – this is the new prettied up andsomewhat simplified first game of Alice, in a pure visual novel style that doesn’t require 100+ turns. I say bring it on!
And November has a bunch of releases too, so first the new titles:
Snow Bound Land: The beautiful new otome game from Otomate that takes the heroine, Gelda, through several fairytale based lands to save herself, her childhood friend Kai and three other men who had been in the wrong place at the wrong time when Kai tried out a mirror that could ‘grant wishes’ which caused them all to change in different ways.
Hanasaku Manimani: The heroine is a high school girl who time slips into the Edo period, and meets people as she works at a pleasure house. The stories are full of bittersweet love, and may not necessarily have happy endings? It’s coming out for the PSP and the PS3 from 5pb.
Jewelic Nightmare: On a moonless night, the heroine visits an old castle in a ‘dream’. There she finds five jewels in the form of young men, and is told to find the jewel that suits her by the next full moon. Unfortunately, the men all have bad personalities. At the same time, in the waking world, the heroine meets five young men who greatly resemble the jewels, but have totally opposite, wonderful personalities. Are they the same people or not? If they are, which one is the ‘true’ personality?
Glass Heart Princess: Platinum, the fandisk for GHP, is out this month too – I loved the original and am definitely buying this!
I’m thinking I should do a video post soon, and gather all these together, hmm…
August 7th, 2013
I’ve played through O*G*A a couple times now, finishing one route. Overall I’d say it’s fun, but definitely on the short side.
The time period of the game only really covers a few days at school where the heroine is recruited as manager, and then a week of training camp on an island (hence the game’s name, The Hunter Falls in Love on an Island.) When you’re on the island, there’s another school team of three guys who your team has already beaten (in one of the drama CDs I think), who are there to help you train, as well as a mysterious pair of twins who don’t belong on an official team but are obviously very good, and a top player from a pro team.
The love system is pretty unforgiving – because I made one wrong choice near the end, I got a generic ending the first time. Though to be fair, there’s often one crucial decision near the end of a route, I also didn’t have full affection because of only one other decision I made wrong earlier. It’s made harder because you should win all of your games (except one near the beginning that’s a forced lose) to get the best ending.
The minigame of oni-gokko is not too difficult once you get the hang of it, although sometimes you get bad luck. You pick three players (one site recommends using the same team throughout for some reason related to extras), and your target should always be on your team (since he gets stronger as his affection goes up, it makes sense anyways). You first choose the players, then four strategies that can be switched between during the game using the right keypad. You can customize these, but don’t forget to have at least one where the players are resting (otherwise their energy never refills and they get really slow). The four actions that can be done are attack(red), defend(green), support(purple), and rest (blue). Oh, and a match is called a “Hunt”, and all the players are Hunters.
Every day you choose where to go and who to talk to, have an event with them where you usually have a Live2D chat with them which can increase your affection level, then meet up with everyone and play a game. If you win that game, you get an evening event with the whole group.
The last game of the camp is against the twins and the pro. I won it pretty easily the first time but lost the second time – but then got some extra dialogue which basically had me win anyways. I’m not sure if I would get anything extra if I won fair and square.
There’s no epilogue back at school or anything, so the end feels a bit abrupt. You do get some extra scenes by doing challenges in the ‘Special’ section – I haven’t played any yet.
Since I’ve only done one route I won’t comment on the characters. I will say that the Live2D for the one guy I finished, Ougaki, was a bit creepy – but I think it’s because of his character design. He’s the one with huge eyes and bags, which are emphasized even more in Live2D.
August 4th, 2013
For whatever reason all the news was pushed back past page 90 of this month’s B’s Log but hey, whatever!
- Quinrose is making a totally new game, Snow Black! The heroine, Liv, is a princess of Trezor Kingdom who was adopted due to her natural beauty. The king wanted to use her to make a diplomatically advantageous marriage. The kingdom is overthrown by the treacherous Ruvian, an advisor (or something like that) who kills the king and becomes the queen, and Liv is locked in a tower. However, she escapes into the forest, where she meets a rebel group calling themselves the Seven Allies who are trying to overthrow the queen:
- Falco Roda, a master assassin;
- Faren Hyte (or is it Heit?), the former prince of Platinum, a country to the west which was also taken over by Ruvian;
- Dune Baxter, a former prince of Appalachion to the east similar to Platinum;
- Omnia Campbell, an expert shot and aristocrat from Appalachion who works for Dune;
- Shamad Rich, the leader of the group and a former blacksmith who lost his wife and daughter because of Ruvian;
- Rupino Roshasu, a former knight from Platinum who’s devoted to Faren(Hyte) and wants to re-establish the knighthood.
- This game looks really pretty!
- More info on Shinobi Koi Utsutsu, which has an amazing pic of all the ninja with hearts in their eyes…so cute. The heroine, Katagiri Kaede, goes to a ninja school! She lost her parents very young and her grandmother at 16, and is trying to become a ninja. She attends a local ninjutsu dojo, and one day meets the head of the Sanada Secondary Training Campus (founded by Sanada Yukimura after beating Tokugawa Ieyasu), which trains ninja. He invites her to take a ninja exam, and she agrees, transferring to the school to do a short-term study before taking the test. On her first day, she accidentally uses an advanced technique that makes her male classmates go melomelo (lose their heads) over her when her heart thumps! As always, I love this artist’s characters, and they look a lot different from Nise no Chigiri or Genroh. The magazine had a big foldout of the below pic, which is the covers of the situation CDs (released this Nov-Jan) all together.
Shinobi Koi Utsutsu Situation CD Cover
August 2nd, 2013
Usually Sweet Princess doesn’t have much new stuff, but this month it did!
Sanzen Sekai Yuugi Multiverse Myself, the 18+ PC sci-fi game from girls dynamics, is coming August 30! That seems fast, especially since the scenes they show are just line art…
The other news in Sweet Princess is that there’s a new 18+ label, As’Ring, and they’re making a game called Onedari Sharemate. It’s tentatively scheduled for next spring. The heroine, Ayumi, is a 25-year-old teacher who wants to be like the inspiring teachers in dramas (I hope she wants to be like Kumiko!) and has almost no experience with boys because in school she was plain. She had an older sister who died in an accident, and Ayumi’s first love was this sister’s fiancé, Kai Shintarou. She moves out from her parents’ house into a boarding house owned by Shintarou and is dismayed to find it’s all guys.
The characters are:
- Serizawa Haruto, one of Ayumi’s students (I really hope he’s 18, couldn’t he be a uni student helping out or something?);
- Minemura Yuzuki, a #1 host
- Minemura Itsuki, also a teacher at Ayumi’s school (and probably Yuzuki’s brother?)
- Fritz Wittgenstein, a half-Australian and half-Japanese violinist
- Isozaki Ryousuke, a childhood friend and ex-boyfriend who’s a professional basketball player (they have those in Japan, I just googled the NBL!)
- And of course, Kai Shintarou, a photographer and Ayumi’s dead sister’s fiancé
The creators say they want to make various types of relationships possible, from just enjoying living in the same house as your boyfriend, to stirring up trouble in a love triangle, to a harem, etc.
July 31st, 2013
O*G*A has a few drama CDs out already, and Otomate just released a game for PSP, Onigokko Royale, Hunter wa Field de Koi o Suru. The premise is that Onigokko (hide and seek) is now a sport. The heroine enters high school and is recruited to be the OGA team’s manager. OGA stands for Onigokko Grand Athletics.
Characters (this link has all the chara pics, and their names are in English as well so you can see who they are):
Ogaki Ayumu (CV: Suzumura Kenichi) – A first year. He easily melts into the background, so much that it bothers him. Though he’s new to OGA, this talent is serving him well.
Tendou Ran(CV: Morikubo Shoutarou) – A first year in OGA, and a rookie. He’s been watched since he was in middle school, and definitely has skill, but also has a lot of pride and hates to lose.
Kishiro Daichi (CV: Morikawa Toshiyuki) – A third-year, and the head of the OGA club. He makes decisions coolly but has a strong fighting spirit. He has a habit of seeing what’s in someone’s heart by their smell. He’s also called Oni no Daichi.
Tamabuki Fusanosuke (CV: Suzuki Tatsuhisa) – A third-year, and vice-head of the OGA club. He’s very stylish and has a lot of female fans, but always goes at his own pace. His nickname is “Kirakira Tamasama”. His favourite drink is “Dorodoro Peach Au Lait”.
Kagami Ginji (CV: Mori Shingo) – A second year who doesn’t talk much. His forte is gathering and analyzing data. His nickname is the “Ningen (Human) Computer”.
Mitsurugi Kanata (CV: Kamakari Kenta) – A second year and moodmaker, he’s always carryinh sweets. Perhaps because he has several younger sisters, he’s very good at looking after his kouhai. He often teams up with Ginji.
Kagami Shidou (CV: Wada Daisuke) – A first year in the news club who’s very curious and lively, he commentates the OGA matches and is called the OGA-DJ. He’s Ginji’s little brother and Ayumu’s best friend, and often visits the OGA club.
During the regular part of the game, you choose where to go twice a day. You can see where the characters are. Along with the regular love events, when you win a match, you get special team event scenes. There’s also a conversation part which uses Live2D, called Heart Hunt. You have to respond to the guy’s comments and his heart gauge will go up or down accordingly. This part will affect characters’ affection levels so it’s important.
The way you play OGA is you have two teams of three in a field. At each end of the field there’s a Treasure Pole. You get points for touching the pole in the opposing team’s area. If you’re touched by an opposing team member, you have to leave the field for a while.
O*G*A Match System
Before each match you’ll discuss strategy, and then during the game you can tell the team members what to do, such as special attacks. Also, characters who have a high affection level will get increased stats as well.
I just got the game in the mail and haven’t played it yet, but I wanted to get this post out first! Yay for otome games with gameplay!! I hope it’s fun and not too hard…
July 30th, 2013
Man, it’s been too long. Now that Sparkler Monthly #1 is launched, I’m determined to do some blogging here! I missed it.
- New game from Otomate and Sanctuary – Chronostacia. It’s a fantasy set in another world where time is something you can save, buy, loan, etc., and a city called Albion. The heroine Lucia doesn’t remember much of her childhood but grows up safe and happy with her grandfather, when one day it appears that a shadowy group called Baroque is stealing people’s time from the Time Bank. They also proclaim that humanity only has 99 days left. Lucia has an illuminated hourglass, and finds she can stop time with it. She decides to try and get people’s time back. Right now they’ve announced three heros, Lucia’s childhood friend Kyougo, a government/police investigator Clive, and Tio, a young painter.
- Arcana Famiglia 2 on November 14!
- Prince Pia Carrot for the PC! Pia Carrot was a bishoujo game, and somehow I think Pia Carrot was possibly a store mascot first?? or something like that. The setup is that the heroine works at a family restaurant with lots of bishounen.
- Fandisk for Tenge no Hana (this news is old but oh well!) It’s called Yume Akari. I actually enjoyed Tenge no Hana quite a bit (and it WAS really full-voiced, I almost didn’t believe it till I played it). No date as of yet.
- Also, a fandisk for Getsuei no Kusari! Which I still haven’t played…scheduled for late 2013.
- Glass Heart Princess: Platinum will be released November 7. Apparently there are three main parts – Southern Beach Resort (set after the school festival), Triangle Dates, and After Stories.
- Probably not new, but Meiji Tokyo Renka will come out Sep 26 for the PSP.
- Hanasaku Manimani set for Nov 21
- Romeo vs Juliet coming Aug 22
- Full-voice Kin’iro no Corda 3 coming to PSP Sep 19
- Redrawn and novelized Alice in the Country of Hearts coming out October 31. I might get that, as the original takes too long.
- No announcement yet on which console Hakuoki SSL will be for.
- Some info on the flow of Kamigami no Asobi – in the prologue you decide whether to join the student council or club or neither, and this determines whose routes you can enter. Student Council = Apollon, Tsukito, Baldur, Club = Hades, Loki, Takeru. Neither is Anubis and Thoth. However, to enter Anubis’ route you need to finish all 6 main character routes, and for Thoth you must finish Anubis’ route. There’s also a bit of mythology trivia and a ‘box garden’ mode where you place objects and characters. These extra modes can add a couple events and items (not sure whether it’s to the regular game or extras).
July 29th, 2013
Hey, I had written this a long time ago but it was offline so I never posted it. Some news from last month! And this month’s will be up this week as well, though first I am finishing the O*G*A post which I started long ago and never finished.
- Diabolik Lovers Fandisk – More, Blood released October 24
- And of course, the upcoming anime seasons are getting several otome-based series: Diabolik Lovers, Jyuzaengi
- Jyuzaengi 2!! The setting will continue on to the battle at the Red Cliffs. Characters include Shuuyu (CV: Mori Naruichi), Shokatsu Ryou (CV: Sakurai Takahiro)
- A new game with the artist from Nise no Chigiri and Genroh, Nakamura Ryuutoku called Shinobi Koiutsutsu!! It’s set in the Sengoku period (around the time of Tenge no Hana and Nise no Chigiri). Main characters are Garaiya (CV: Shimono Hiro), Anayama Daisuke (CV: Suzuki Tatsuhisa), Sanada Yukikage (CV: toriumi Kousuke), Kirigakure Roudo (CV: Sakurai Takahiro), Sarutobi Sasuke (CV: Terashima Takuma), Yuri Kamakiyo (CV: Ono Yuuki).
- Newly announced from honeybee, Houkago colorful*step, set at Tokiwa Private High School and using a different artist from starry*sky. It focuses on becoming friends and falling in love while striving towards a common goal during club activities. You have a choice of four clubs to join – track, band, basketball, or drama – and of course, the love interests change depending on which you choose. More coming when they announce seiyuu!
- Honeybee’s other new game, Seishun Hajimemashita! is coming out September 26, and it’s finally clear which characters are capturable! For the female character, Chitose, you can romance six male characters, and if you play as Chihaya, the male twin, you can go for three female characters.
- Hakuouki SSL (sweet school life) has two new characters announced, Ryuunosuke and Serizawa from Reimeiroku.
- For the 10th anniversary of Corda d’Oro, Koei is releasing Kin’iro no Corda 3 fully-voiced for the PSP. I may get this IF it has extra material. It’s supposed to be released in September.
- Quinrose announces the sequel/fan disk/whatever for Shinigami Kagyou, Shinigami Shogyou. Release date TBD.
- Snow Bound Land, the completely new game from Otomate, is set for September 26 and looks gorgeous. Characters are: Gelda, the heroine (which always reminds me of Beastmaster and Prince), Kai (CV: Kimura Ryohei), Olva (CV: Tachibana Shinnosuke), Kleiss (CV: Yonaga Tsubasa), Arge (CV: Ono Yuuki).
- Toki no Kizuna’s fan disk, Hana Tsuzuri, comes out July 25. I finally finished all the routes a couple weeks ago, so now I’m ready to play this. I really hope it has a lot more romance, since the original was so…dry.
- Vitamin R is coming out August 8, omg I didn’t realize it was so soon! See that’s why I do these posts, to remind myself of what I need to order Now I just have to figure out whose route I want to do first…I’m strongly leaning towards the adorably defiant looking pianist, Akagiri Eita (CV: Kishio Daisuke).
- Quinrose is re-releasing Alice in the Country of Hearts for the PSP as a pure visual novel!! Maybe with this I can finally complete all the routes. It’s coming out October 31.
- And more exciting, a new game from Quinrose, Taisho Kitan, about an aristocratic heroine that becomes a ’master’ of oni. Characters are:
- Senjuin Shirou (CV: Toriumi Kousuke), an aristocrat who also has the potential to be a master of oni.
- Asagayachi Akefumi (CV: Seki Tomokazu), an oni master who’s popular with female oni
- Souma Izuru (CV: Kondou Takashi), a quiet ‘water oni’ (suiki?)
- Izawa Omi (CV: Morikubo Shoutarou), a bright and active water oni
- Takeya Souji (CV: Yoshino Hiroyuki), a water oni who hates to lose
- Kusaka Keiichi (CV: Hirakawa Daisuke), an astronomy teacher
- The game is currently set for 2013, if I had to guess I’d say November.